Monday, January 12, 2009

There are DREAMS, then there is reality...

Well, I've been thinking and felt like blogging about it. Normally in life we all dream of what we will have and where we will be in years to come. I sit back and think, gosh Tina, all your dreams are so materialistic. I'm always talking about my dream house that I want and how it will have this and that. Or, that nice car I'll drive, or those big diamonds I want. This thought comes when I think we'll be making more money. Why??? What am I trying prove? How silly and selfish all at the same time! Just my last blog I was discussing traveling. How will we ever manage to take those trips I want with dreams like this? What's wrong with my house, car or the simple diamond on my finger? Nothing!!!!!!!!! Revamping my ideas, budgets and dreams I began thinking how much we could do for our family rather it being Ivy's college funds to a cruise to the Mediteranian only if we just keep it simple. It seems like we always have to upgrade and have the better things in life. My big question is... What makes them better? I should definitely be so appreciative of what we do have. God has done so much for our family and blessed us with wonderful health. Just lately, a couple of my other blogger friends have been dealt a tuff hand of cards. With God in control, I only pray that they will be blessed with the best of results. I just feel, I for one need to thank God everyday for our wonderful blessings and stop being so materialistic because all it does is make me more selfish and less appreciative. JUST KEEP IT SIMPLE, TINA!!! Sorry if I bore you with my blogging, but it just helps me feel better when I can discuss my thoughts.

6 comments:

Christi said...

Thanks! I needed this refresher! Sometimes I forget what is important-- like worrying over whether or not I should buy myself a new camera when the one I have is just fine!! I've just gotten the "fever" because it seems as if all my friends are getting new cameras! :)

Shonna said...

Thank you Tina! I think this is something all of us deal with at some point and just hate to admit to it...Jamey and I have been totally blessed in EVERY aspect of life, but I have caught myself several times wanting things to fall into my time frame of needing/wanting them and forget how He has already blessed us and that my plans are not always God's plan - He knows what is best for us and we are to wait on Him (Psalms 27:14).

Lori said...

Thanks a lot! When you mentioned the house, it reminded me that I gave my house to Jesus for Christmas this year. I try to remind myself all the time that Jack is going to see what Ben and I really believe about Jesus in that house and that is what is important. Not what it looks like or what I put in it. Just today I was stressing b/c I couldn't afford something that I really wanted for the house. We need friends to hold us accountable sometimes and this did it for me today!!

Julie said...

Amen!! I definitely fall short in this category and thanks for reminding me that life isn't about having it all material wise. We have exactly what we need-our precious children. Thanks Tina! Love you!

Lauren said...

I second that! I read a book a couple years ago that totally helped me to reconsider the way I look at material things. It's called "Not Buying It" by Judith Levine. The woman took an entire year and tried to not buy ANYTHING that wasn't absolutely necessary. She saved thousands of dollars and learned so much about herself. She and her husband also grew a lot closer. I know it sounds cliche, but I also think we are constantly tested by all the things in the media that tell us we need more things--like TV ads, magazines, etc. I try to make fun out of finding beauty and extravagance in unexpected places and ways--going camping instead of an expensive trip, finding a nice pair of jeans at the thrift store instead of a $160 pair of rock & republics, etc. Sometimes it's hard, but it's so much better on the pocketbook and your psyche!

Lynn Castleberry said...

You hit the nail on the head. In the 6th grade English class at the middle school they had an assignment to write a thank you note to someone that bought them a present for Christmas. The stipulations were that they couldn't lie but they had to say something nice. Well, as most of you know AMS is a Title I school, meaning we have lots of children that get free lunch. Most kids wrote thank you for my I-pod, cell phone, PS3, etc... This one sweet kid wrote, Thank you God for the roof over my head, clothes on my back, and food on the table! How humbling that was for me!! I so often complain about the things I don't have rather than thanking God for the abundant blessings He gives me every day.